When planning graduate studies, the choice is often between several different MBA or Master programs.
The Master of Business Administration is a rather young academic degree originating from the U.S. in the 20th century. As a non-consecutive kind of studying, the education of the MBA program is not just based on previous course work, but also on additional qualifications in a range of management and business fields in a practice-oriented way. Additionally, students can guide their career in another direction with the MBA.
In contrast to an MBA, a Master's Degree is a very old academic degree with roots in Europe in the 13th century. As a consecutive study program, the Master is based on the contents from the previous main course and aims to educate in a specific area by focusing on scientific analysis.
How to differentiate MBA and Master programs?
- Requirements: Successfully completed Bachelor's degree & work experience
- Focus: Theory & Practice alike, basic knowledge in different business disciplines, learning on the operative level
- Structure: Full time or half time (1 or 2 years), Part 1: Core modules, Part 2: Specialization & dissertation
- Content: Theory in a classroom setting, practical orientation with external practitioners, discussions, consulting-projects, hard & soft skills
- Career prospects: Generalist, leadership positions, future career in diverse business fields
- Requirements: Successfully completed Bachelor's degree
- Focus: Theory & Literature, research-oriented, focus on one area of international business (e.g. marketing or finance), learning on the strategic level
- Structure: Full time or half time (1 or 2 years), Part 1: Courses and lectures for specialization, Part 2: Master's thesis
- Content: Theory, literature analysis, classical lectures and seminars
- Career prospects: Specialist, management position, research
Choosing the IBSA Dual Degree Master's Program, you don't have to decide at all whether to study the MBA or Master. With this program you can get two degrees in two countries in just one year: one MBA degree in Bremen and another degree at one of five accredited partner universities worldwide. Take the opportunity to increase your future career options with a Double Degree.